Testosterone – a male sex hormone which is produced in little amounts in women in their ovaries and adrenal glands. The female sex hormones are oestrogen and progesterone and along with the testosterone, the hormones in women play a vital role in growth and overall maintenance in body and its composition.
How To Lower High Testosterone Levels In Females?
But do you know that some women produce very high testosterone in their body? Let’s discuss this in detail, its causes and symptoms behind it. These hormonal imbalances have become very common these days. It is one of the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome which again in a widespread among women of reproductive age.
Clinical Aspects & Normal Range of Testosterone
• In males the levels are 300-1000 ng/DL
• In women, the levels are 5 to 70 ng/ DL (with regular menstrual cycle)
High testosterone level is caused by many factors. Some causes of High testosterone level are :-
Hirsutism: Which is a hormonal problem of unwanted hair growth at the back, chest and face.
PCOS: Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Congenital adrenal hyperplasia: This causes an effect on adrenal glands that can interfere with hormonal secretions.
Symptoms that can be commonly seen in the women having high testosterone are:-
1. Unwanted hair growth
2. Irregular menstruation
3. Increase in muscle mass
4. Heavy voice
5. Severe acne
6. Reduction in breast size
7. Sometimes the causes of the testosterone level in females are also depended on metabolic syndromes or diabetes and heart related problems.
These high levels of testosterone in females can be lowered by two methods i.e. lifestyle changes and nutrition. Making a change in the habits of food, eating patterns and focusing an overall lifestyle modification can show a major change in the testosterone levels. Moreover this can also subside other symptoms like excessive acne, unwanted hair growth, irregular periods, etc.
Here are some lifestyle & nutritional keys to bring back the testosterone levels in check :
- Soy and soy products like tofu, edamame, soy milk etc. contains phytoestrogens that showcase its action on oestrogen in body by altering its effects and reducing the effect of high
testosterone level in women
- Omega fatty acids :The rich sources of omega fatty acids are walnuts, chia seeds, canola oil, flax seeds etc. These better the insulin sensitivity in females by naturally reducing the
- Zinc: Sources like chickpea, baked beans, walnuts, cashews, oysters, oats , tofu,broccoli , Brussels sprouts etc are rich in zinc that act as a balance wheel to balance out the
testosterone level naturally by improving the ovulation.
- Vitamin D : This sunshine vitamin regulates the period cycle and promotes the regularity of ovulation. This fat-soluble vitamin is obtained from the sources like sunlight, egg yolks, some dairy products, soy milk etc. If you are low in Vitamin D stores, supplements are highly recommended.
- Mint : It is said to cause low levels in testosterone because of its powerful calming properties in hormones.
- Processed foods : Consuming high amounts of sugar and trans fats, can cause an impair in reproductive performance and also increases the testosterone levels. So its is required to avoid processed foods like cakes, candies, sugary syrups, chips etc. as it contains high intake of trans fats.
- Alcohol : enjoying it in occasional base is different and consuming it regularly is harmful. Alcohol causes the testosterone level to increase its efficiency, therefore too much alcohol is a big no.
- Ginger: ginger has the natural tendency to bring down the testosterone levels & also works with betterments of gut.
- Red clovers: red clovers have a positive impact on reducing the hot flashes in women during their periods. It helps in managing a change in hormones like FSH, LH (i.e. follicle-stimulating hormone and luteinising hormone), and testosterone
- Lignin-containing foods: Like broccoli, cabbage, barley, oats strawberries, apricots, etc reduce the amount of free circulating testosterone in body.
Apart from food and nutrition, an active lifestyle is a must to control hormones and bring about hormonal alignment.
Therefore, these lifestyle changes & nutritional interventions can aid in lowering the testosterone levels and help in hormonal balance.