More often than not we tend to find weight loss tips and weight loss diet plans everywhere but weight gain is never in the limelight. Just like how important healthy weight loss is we need to also focus on healthy weight gain.
Indian Diet for Weight Gain
Simple weight gain rule- Eating more calories than you burn.
So, who falls under weight gain category?
- If your body mass index is under 18.5 that is underweight category.
- If you have any eating disorder including restrictive intake, picky eating behaviour, purging, long periods of fasting/starvation leading to weight loss.
- If you have a family history of lean body type or low BMI you might have the same.
- Metabolism- If your body has high metabolism (catabolism is higher than anabolism) it might be difficult for you to gain weight easily.
- Some medical conditions and medications might also affect weight.
- Check for nutritional deficiencies. Micronutrient deficiencies generally get over looked, this in turn might hamper your weight.
Diet Tips for Weight Gain
In order to gain weight, one needs to incorporate calorie dense foods. Healthy fats such as avocados, nuts, oil seeds, ghee and peanuts should be added to your diet. They are calorie and nutrient dense choices.
Gaining weight does not mean gaining fat with unhealthy options. Increase in muscle mass is a must when you target weight gain. Incorporating small amounts of proteins in every meal such as pulses, dals, fish, chicken, eggs, milk and milk products is a must.
Consuming good amounts of complex carbohydrates like whole grains, fruits, potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn will help you gain weight. Avoid refined sugars, refined cereals and packaged foods they are empty calories that don’t provide any nutrition to the body.
4. Snack options
As a mid-meal dry fruit laddoo, til chikki, peanut chikki, granola bars and coconut laddoo can be incorporated. These are some handy and healthy calorie dense options.
How Can I Eat So Much?
- Instead of 3 large meals have small frequent meals.
- Make sure short interval meals are calorie & nutrient dense.
Along with the above-mentioned tips incorporating strength training exercises and good sleep will help you gain weight. Gaining weight by making the right food choices is necessary. Remember to achieve results consistency is the key.